What was the inspiration for starting your business?
My sweet little man Sebastian is my inspiration. It all began while I was searching around for some fun decorations for his "big boy bedroom". He will never know a life without a pinwheel.
What were some of the challenges that you have faced?
There have been a lot of challenges but I think the main one has, and will always be, time. There will never be enough hours in the day to do everything I want or need to do.
How do you find balance between “real life” and being a super female entrepreneur and/or MOMpreneur?
lol - who says I'm balanced? I am the most off-centred person you will ever meet! But, I do try to involve my family with my work whenever I can. My husband gets the title of "Quality Control Manager" and has the job of looking over the orders before they are mailed (and he is a tough critic - he DOES make me redo stuff). I can't wait until Sebastian is old enough to take on a few more duties for me but for now, he makes sure that all the pinwheels twirl!
What advice would you give to other female entrepreneurs just starting out?
My best advice would be "don't try to rush it - everything will come in time". You may have a million great ideas but just start off with one or you will get overwhelmed.
What is up & coming for your business?
Right now I can't think past today. This time of year is busy scheduling in all of the upcoming wedding orders so that has been top priority. This year I got a bit of a boost by having one of my pinwheels featured in the "Buzz Trend" section of the February 2011 issue of BRIDES Magazine. Definitely a thrill. I think my main business goal, though, will be to stay ahead of the holidays and get my themed items up early!
The TEN... with Shannon Torossi from Twirlie Whirlies
1. I have a degree in Architectural Technology.
2. My nickname as a child was "Buckwheat". I have no idea why.
3. I started snowboarding when I was 30.
4. I've been pierced 9 times but only 2 are still in existence (piercings and children don't get along).
5. Everybody thinks I should have a tattoo. I don't.
6. I have to wear a teeth grinding night guard to bed (really attractive).
7. Music is my passion, yet I don't dance. EVER!
8. I'm registered as a potential donor on the Canadian Blood Services OneMatch Stem Cell and Marrow Network
9. I am a confessed chocoholic - currently in rehab
10. I love horror movies.