Thursday, March 10, 2011

Spotlight Boulevard :: Chic Mama

Hello friends! TGIT! Yes, thank goodness it's Thursday... and for Spotlight Boulevard! I know I have said this before but Thursday has quickly become my favorite day of the week because I feature a savvy and chic woman owned business. Women are rocking the world with their amazing businesses and I am not only happy to be one of those women, but also to have had the pleasure of making so many connections with these women. Some I have met face-to-face, and some I know only through their avatars and witty and engaging Tweets! Either way, I am thankful to be connected to them in some way.


I had the chance to meet this week's savvy and chic MOMpreneur, Adriana D'Arco owner of Chic Mama Diaper Cakes and More, last summer at the Westfield Baby Expo. I was located not too far from her exhibit space and was scoping her out her gorgeous diaper cake creations all night. I was thrilled when I finally had a moment to go over and introduce myself and see her products up close. Now, I have been to many baby showers and I have even made a diaper cake myself before, but nothing ever as well designed & styled as these! Chic Mama diaper cakes are are not just a bunch of diapers adorned with a few baby chotchkes. Chic Mama diaper cakes are charming and sophisticated!! They are bright, bold, unique, beautiful and uber CHIC! There is a design for just about any baby shower theme.

Photobucket


How amazing would these be as the table center pieces at a baby shower?? Not sure what to send as a gift to a new mom? Forget the flowers! Moms-to-be need diapers more than anything! AND, Chic Mama also has an eco-friendly collection of diaper cakes! See, savvy and chic! Adriana also offers custom diaper cakes designs, as well as towel cakes and many other great items for the chic mom-to-be! There is something for anyone throwing a baby shower or gifting a new mom.

Adriana has so very graciously offered up a 10% coupon for all Uptown Girl readers starting today and good through March 17, 2011! Enter code CM1002 upon checkout. Read on as I had the chance to ask Adriana my top 5 favorite questions and then to learn a few fun facts about this chic mama!


Chic Mama website: http://www.chicmamadiapercakes.com

facebook

Twitter

The FIVE... with Adriana D'Arco from Chic Mama


Q: What was the inspiration for starting your business?

My true inspiration for my business are my children. I had been working in the corporate world for so long and found myself missing important moments in my children’s lives, or just being too stressed and busy to pay attention. I came to the realization that I needed to take a step back and find a way to be able to focus more on my children while still being able to continue my career. That is when the idea for Chic Mama Diaper Cakes was born.


Q: What were some of the challenges that you have faced?

My biggest challenge has to do with time. It seems that the hours just go by too quickly in a given day. Although, after reprioritizing aspects of my life, I am finally finding a way to incorporate my business, my volunteer work, MYSELF, and most importantly, my family into each day. I now know that I just need to take one thing at a time. When my children come home from school, my focus is completely on them.


Q: How do you find balance between “real life” and being a super female entrepreneur and/or MOMpreneur?

It’s a decision you have to make for yourself. I always put work and household chores first…I think it has to do with my Type A personality. I made a very specific decision last year to put my family and my own health first. I make sure to incorporate the gym into my daily schedule and have an energy level that I haven’t had in years. When school is over, I officially become the “soccer mom” and run from one practice to the other. When they have gone to bed, I get back to work if needed. It’s a system that is working very well for all of us.


Q: What advice would you give to other female entrepreneurs just starting out?

Believe in yourself! I can honestly say that I would have never thought I would own my own business. If it wasn’t for the complete support of my husband I would not have been able to do it. He encourages me each day and believes in me. I now believe in myself too!


Q: What is up & coming for your business?

Hmm….my main goal right now is continuing to get my name out there. I continuously add new diaper cake designs and hope to continue to grow my product line with more “chic” items for the modern mom.


The TEN... with Adriana D'Arco from Chic Mama


1. I was made in Uruguay, South America but born in New Jersey.

2. I am fluent in Spanish.

3. I have one tattoo and at the age of 36 would love to get another one.

4. In my next lifetime I hope to be a ballroom dancer.

5. My favorite arcade game of all time is Ms. Pacman.

6. My guilty pleasure is Reality TV.

7. I MUST have chocolate once a day.

8. I am a truly dog person but have the best cat in the world!

9. I have a degree in Accounting and LOVE spreadsheets!

10. My children look nothing like me…100% their dad.

0 comments: